If you’re wondering why you or your family members are often sneezing, coughing or have breathing difficulties, it could be due to the presence of mould and mildew at home. These fungi appear as unsightly spots or patches and are triggered by a high level of humidity as they thrive in warm, moist and poorly ventilated areas like kitchens and bathrooms.
Singapore homes are therefore especially susceptible to mould and mildew, and if not properly taken care of, can lead to more serious health problems. Get to the root of the problem by checking on these four areas:
Mould and fungi grow in water puddles caused by leaky faucets or ceilings. When they multiply in number, they give off a strong odour.
CARPETS AND RUGS
Pretty much every kind of dirt can be trapped in their fibres. If left uncleaned for a long time, these floor coverings can develop an unpleasant smell.
Watch out for puddles of water on any wood surface, because mould will definitely grow and give off a musty scent.
WARM AND MOIST AREAS
Bathrooms and kitchens are among mould’s favourite havens. When you see yellowish or greenish stains on the surfaces in these areas, expect a smell to follow if these are not cleaned immediately.
Here are seven simple ways to keep your home mould- and mildew-free: