1. Velvet-trimmed layered lace dress, $262, from Perseverance at THE OUTNET
A tiered dress will help you hide the curves of your hips, creating a more fit-and-flare silhouette.
2. Lace dress, $119, from H&M.
A full skirt hides away a multitude of sins, including that extra slice of chocolate cake!
3. Kimono wrap dress, $79.90, from Topshop.
The magic of a wrap dress is sorely underrated – it cinches your waist in while skimming your hips, creating a flattering line that helps you appear thinner.
4. Domingo bow-embellished crepe midi dress, $748, from Rebecca Vallance at NET-A-PORTER.
Opt for a dress with a bell-shaped skirt to balance out a curvier midsection.
5. Striped strappy dress, $89.90, from Zara.
Vertical stripes help you look taller, thereby cheating your body proportions and making you look thinner in the process.
6. Bronte lace-trimmed floral-print silk midi dress, $1,564, from Joseph at NET-A-PORTER.
Patterns can do wonders in distracting the eye from your curves.
Busy florals and darker colours can look flattering and appropriate for your date.
7. Contrast scallop dress, $397, from Ted Baker.
When all else fails, opt for a modish shift dress that has a wider A-line cut for a more forgiving dress option.