Coffee is not only warm, but also energising. Whether you start each day with a latte, espresso or cappuccino, a moderate caffeine habit can provide many health benefits. In recent years, scientists have studied the effects of coffee on various aspects of health, and their results have been positively astounding!
Here are 8 reasons why switching to coffee may actually be a great move.
- Aids weight loss. The magnesium and potassium in coffee helps you use insulin, regulating your blood sugar levels and reducing your craving for sugary treats and snacks.
- Burns fat. Caffeine helps break down the fat cells and use it as fuel for training.
- Helps you focus. One to six cups of coffee a day helps you stay focused.
- Reduces risk of cancers. One study has shown that coffee may lower the risk of developing prostate cancer in men by 20%, and endometrial cancer in women by 25%.
- Antioxidants. The antioxidants in the coffee helps protect your body against free radicals within your body.
- Lowers risk of Type 2 diabetes. Caffeine decreases your insulin sensitivity and impairs glucose tolerance, therefore reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Protects your brain. Studies have shown that high caffeine levels in your blood reduce the risk of Alzheimer disease. It has also shown to lower the risk of dementia.
- Perks up your mood. Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and boosts production of neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenalin, which elevate your mood.
Text: Bauer/ Good Health/ Additional Reporting: Shenielle Aloysis