1. RED QUINOA For a twist on the regular quinoa, go red. It’s high in vitamins and minerals, has a crunchy texture and strong flavour. Add a handful to salads.
2. PEARL BARLEY High in fibre and protein, barley adds a delicious nutty flavour to risottos and stir-fries.
3. BURGHUL This diet superfood is filling yet low in fat. Work it into salads or soups for added texture and flavour variation.
4. BUCKWHEAT A multi-tasking wonder, this protein-packed super grain works just as well in salads as in baking.
5. BLACK RICE The dark horse of the grain family, black rice is a great source of fibre and vitamin B. Try it in desserts or salads.
6. LINSEED Also known as flaxseed, these seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. Sprinkle a teaspoon over yoghurt.
7. CHIA SEEDS Sprinkle a handful over muesli or yoghurt for a boost of fibre.
Text: Woman’s Day, Bauer Syndication / Additional Reporting: Sean Tan