On July 22, a flat in Ang Mo Kio was completely destroyed and two next-door units damaged after a personal mobility device (PMD) exploded. The e-scooter was left charging in the kitchen unattended in the morning, and burst into flames in the afternoon.
While nobody was seriously injured (thankfully), the incident isn’t an anomly. According to a Straits Times report, it’s the third PMD-related fire within a month, and the second in a week. The previous incident in Bukit Batok led to the death of a 40-year-old man.
To put things into perspective, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) says that 74 PMD-linked fires were reported last year, a 51 per cent increase from 2017.
With personal mobility devices such as electric scooters and power-assisted bikes becoming more popular, the number of fires caused by such devices has also grown significantly.
Follow these 10 safety precautions of keeping and charging your PMD at home and prevent a fire from occurring:
1. Buy PMDs with the UL2272 Certification Mark. Refer to LTA’s website for more information.
2. Use a power adaptor that carries the Safety Mark and is recommended by the manufacturer.
3. Charge the PMD in a cool room or shaded area and on a hard, flat surface to allow heat to be optimally dissipated.
4. Buy PMDs from reputable sources and make sure the devices comply with LTA’s safety requirements.
5. Regularly examine batteries for any damage or deformity such as bloating, corrosion or powdery residue.