Make your hardwood floors last longer with the following expert tips:
- Vacuum or sweep regularly, particularly in high-traffic areas, as small particles can get dragged along and scratch your floor.
- Place doormats outside every entrance to help trap dirt, sand and grit.
- Wipe up spills immediately.
- Stick felt pads under all chair and table legs.
- To remove hardened substances, such as candle wax, place an ice pack on the problem spot. Leave for about 10 minutes, or until the substance dries and becomes brittle. Scrape off gently using a butter knife or a credit card.
(Read on for types of floor finishes and maintenance do’s and don’ts)