If you’ve ever made cookies or a cake that didn’t turn out so well, you might have made some common baking mistakes. So before putting your oven gloves on, read these important dos and don’ts to help your achieve greater baking success:
1. Do read the recipe right through
2. Do preheat the oven according to the recipe
3. Do get to know your oven's idiosyncrasies
…and adjust the temperature, timing and shelf positioning accordingly.
4. Do prepare baking pans as indicated by the recipe
5. Do weigh and measure ingredients accurately
Use standard metric measuring cups and spoons or scales when needed.
6. Don't skip the sifting step
It incorporates air and mixes dry ingredients.
7. Don't substitute unless the recipe indicates it's okay to do so
8. Don't use a different sized pan than indicated in the recipe and expect the same results
9. Don't overmix your dough
Especially if you’re baking cookies, overmixing can increase gluten and result in tough, really dense cookies.
10. Don’t open the oven door too early
Wait until at least half of the baking time has passed before opening the door.
Text: Australian Women’s Weekly / Additional Reporting: Elizabeth Liew