10 Dos And Don’ts To Prevent A PMD-Related Fire At Home
July 29, 2019
On July 22, a flat in Ang Mo Kio was completely destroyed and two next-door units damaged after a personal mobility device (PMD) exploded. The e-scooter was left charging in the kitchen unattended in the morning, and burst into flames in the afternoon.
While nobody was seriously injured (thankfully), the incident isn’t an anomly. According to a Straits Times report, it’s the third PMD-related fire within a month, and the second in a week. The previous incident in Bukit Batok led to the death of a 40-year-old man.
To put things into perspective, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) says that 74 PMD-linked fires were reported last year, a 51 per cent increase from 2017.
With personal mobility devices such as electric scooters and power-assisted bikes becoming more popular, the number of fires caused by such devices has also grown significantly.
Follow these 10 safety precautions of keeping and charging your PMD at home and prevent a fire from occurring:
– Do not panic; shout to alert others.
– Evacuate and close the door, if possible, to contain the fire.
– Dial 995 for the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).
– Turn off the gas mains if you can reach them.
– When evacuating the building, use the stairs and do not use the lift.
– Fight the fire only if you are able to do so without endangering yourself and others.
Stay safe, folks!
WATCH THIS VIDEO NEXT
10 Things You Should Always Do Before Leaving On Holiday