It’s durian season again and if you’re a true blue durian fan, you’d probably belong in one of two camps: the purist who eats durian only in its original raw form, or the diehard who loves it in anything and everything – cake, puff, ice kacang, chendol… you get the drift. But before you make a beeline to the nearest durian stall or confectionary stand, the calorie and fat content in these durian-based foods may make you think twice about over-indulging.
- Durian, raw: One 37.8g seed = 57.83 calories, 1.29g fat
- Durian puff: One 30g piece = 76.5 calories, 4.83g fat
- Durian sponge cake: One 64g slice = 139.52 calories, 10.11g fat
- Durian ice kacang: One 341g bowl = 208.01 calories, 4.09g fat
- Durian pudding: One 189g packet = 262.71 calories, 8.32g fat
- Durian chendol: One 398g bowl = 408.75 calories, 19.22g fat
- Durian mooncake: One 200g piece (whole) = 818.8 calories, 42.2g fat
Looking at the stats, durian-flavoured goodies are indeed fattening, containing a lot more fat than pure durian. So there’s good reason to eat the fruit on its own.
Eat smart by having no more than three seeds per serving. And space out your durian eating – no more than twice a week!
Nutrient data from the Health Promotion Board.
Text: Estelle Low and Li Yuling / Shape