Hair fall is one of the major concerns that plague women (and men) here. Generally, most of us shed 50 to 100 hair strands a day, with new hair growing at the same time. A disruption of this natural cycle, which can be caused by many factors, leads to an unhealthy scalp and premature hair fall.
1. What are the main causes of unhealthy scalp and hair fall?
The most common reasons are genetics and hormonal changes. For women, hair fall occurs mainly due to hormonal changes, especially when faced with life events like pregnancy or menopause in which hormones affect the hair growth process. Women’s hair will become thinner all over the head (especially from the top), but their hairline does not recede. Men tend to suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia, a common form of hair fall that happens over time whereby the hairline recedes to form a characteristic “M” shape. Hair also thins at the crown (near the top of the head), often progressing to partial or complete baldness.
2. Other than uncontrollable conditions like genetics & hormonal changes, what else causes unhealthy scalp and hair fall?
Wrong usage of products, a stressful lifestyle and excessive hair colouring can affect the health of your scalp, leading to problems like oily scalp or scalp infections which can result in premature hair fall.
3. What are the treatment options available?
Advanced medical treatments such as lasers and injections can recondition scalp health. Combined with hair growth active serum, it further induces new cell formation for the scalp surface and also strengthens the hair at its follicles. This treatment is suitable for moderate to severe forms of hair loss. Other options like scalp detox and subdermal infusion are suitable for mild to moderate hair fall conditions.
4. Besides treatments, are there any self-help tips for prevention?
* Use gentler shampoos and cool water when washing your hair.
* Intake more food that contain vitamins A, B, E like lettuce,
dark leafy vegetables, fish, poultry and almonds.
* Avoid tying your hair too tightly, and too frequent chemical hair treatments.
* Seek proper medical advice.
ClearSK® Group of Aesthetic Centers is at: Scotts Medical Center, Novena Medical Center, Velocity, Tampines, Westgate, Stadium Walk, Orchard Central, Hougang and Toa Payoh, Tel: 6100 6868, Website: ClearSKgroup.com
Brought to you by ClearSK.
As featured in the August 2016 issue of The Singapore Women’s Weekly.