Carats denote the weight of a diamond, and a single carat unit equals to 0.2 metric grams. The wider the top of your diamond measures, the higher the carat weight.
Expert tip: When buying diamonds above 1 carat, it’s important to scrutinise the stone carefully. Any fluctuation in quality can result in a price difference that can range into the thousands.
Clarity is used to describe the translucent quality of the diamond. The clearer the diamond, the higher the price. Blemishes—also known as inclusions—naturally occur with diamonds.
Expert tip: Blemishes usually appear as black flecks, but sometimes they can appear as white flecks as well. Therefore, Kunming advises buyers to consider S1 diamonds, as the blemishes aren’t as obvious as black ones, and you save a lot of money as compared to buying a VVS1 or FL diamond.
Colourless diamonds allow for more light to pass through, resulting in a higher quality diamond that sparkles. Likewise, the higher the quality, the higher the price. So consider how much you can afford when buying your diamond.
Expert tip: Most local retailers don’t stock any diamonds below M grade, but always trust your eye and judge it based on its physical appearance as well.
Think of a diamond’s cut as its reason to sparkle. How it is faceted determines its brilliance and the amount of interaction it has with light. This is the most important factor to consider, as it is the most visible attribute to the naked eye. An ideal cut directs light to the stone’s base and back up again.
Expert tip: For the best sparkle, look to round-shaped diamonds with brilliant cuts.
1. Bracelet in 18k rose gold with pave diamonds, $19,700, from Tiffany & Co
2. Necklace with diamonds, $365, from Monica Vinader
3. Happy Hearts 18-karat white gold diamond cuff, $8,300, from Chopard
4. 18-karat white gold diamond ring, $7,990, from Suzanne Kalan at NET-A-PORTER
5. Possession 18-karat white gold diamond necklace, $20,100, from Piaget
6. Sabbia 18-karat rose gold diamond ring, $7,800, from Pomellato
7. Rope 18-karat rose gold diamond earrings, $13,110, from Anita Ko at NET-A-PORTER
8. Collection 18-karat gold diamond earrings, $5,800, from Fred Leighton