Teaching your child to read early and well has multiple benefits and is the key to your child’s academic future.
1. Storytelling For 3 Years Old And Below: ABC By Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss’ amazing A to Z alphabetical book is filled with entertaining pictures and zany descriptions of the alphabet, with characters like Aunt Annie’s Alligator and the Lazy Lion Licking a Lollipop! At $8.50, from Books Kinokuniya.
2. Storytelling For 3 Years Old And Below: The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin
Paired with retro-styled illustrations, this picture book delivers a melodic rhyme that engages children and adults alike. Available from the National Library.
3. Storytelling For 3 Years Old And Below: What Pet Should I Get by Dr. Seuss
Deciding on a single pet to bring home can be hard. The brother and sister pair can only choose one from a large selection of cute and fluffy animals. At $27.71, from Books Kinokuniya.
4. Assisted Reading For 3 to 6 Years Old: The Day The Crayons Came Home by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers
This best-selling picture book sees Duncan receiving a stack of mail from his former crayons that just want to come back home. Available from the National Library.
5. Assisted Reading For 3 to 6 Years Old: Sponky: The TreasureHunter by Carrie Edwards-Britt
Sponky, the Chihuahua, and his best friends, Chloe and Noodle are off to find hidden treasure on a remote island. At $14, from Motherswork.
6. Assisted Reading For 3 to 6 Years Old: AVeryHungry Caterpillar by Eric Carlise
A much-loved classic, with its vivid and colourful collage illustrations and its deceptively simple and hopeful story, makes a richly satisfying book for children. Available from the National Library.
7. Assisted Reading For 3 to 6 Years Old: Clarice Bean, That's Me by Lauren Child
The first book of the series sees Clarice trying to find a little peace and quiet among the cacophony that is her family members. Available from the National Library.
8. Assisted Reading For 3 to 6 Years Old: Ellie Belly Huffy Puffy Panda by Eliza Teoh
Seven-year-old Ellie has a special gift – he can talk to animals. One day, Ellie’s class is held at the Zoo where she hears strange sounds. Join her and best friend Cammy on their “beary” investigative journey. At $13.80, from Books Kinokuniya.
9. Independent Reading For 9 to 12 Years Old: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Four siblings are sent to the countryside during World War II. There they discover a magical world of ice on the other side of a wardrobe. An epic adventure follows. Available from the National Library.
10. Independent Reading For 9 to 12 Years Old: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Matilda is the tale of a gifted girl who yearns for more knowledge despite her parents’ disapproval. At $13.38, from Books Kinokuniya.
11. Independent Reading For 9 to 12 Years Old: The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd
Ted is a boy with Asperger’s syndrome. And he is on a mission to solve the mystery of how his cousin, Salim, seemingly vanishes from inside a sealed capsule on the London Eye, the great Ferris wheel attraction in the heart of the city. At $15.08, from Books Kinokuniya.