Two SMRT maintenance staff lost their lives while undergoing a procedural training along the tracks near Pasir Ris MRT station. Singaporeans Nasrulhudin Najumudin, 26, and Muhammad Asyraf Ahmad Buhari, 24, had gone down to inspect a condition monitoring device for signaling, when they were hit by an oncoming train at around 11 am, on March 22.
SMRT has since then acknowledged that safety procedures were not followed in the lead-up to the accident. As per rules, safety precautions included a coordination with the Signal unit at the station for oncoming trains to be brought to a halt and no other trains to enter the affected area.
While investigations are still being conducted to understand the lapse in safety procedures, we would like to highlight some key safety practices your family and you should follow at all times:
1. Do not run on the platform, you might fall.
2. Keep a lookout for slippery floors and report it for cleanup.
3. Always mind the gap while boarding a train, you might trip or get your foot stuck in the gap.
4. Do not board an overcrowded train to avoid suffocation. Wait for the next train.
5. Do not board a train while the train doors are closing, you might get caught between the doors
6. Hold on to your children so they don’t get lost or trampled on in the sea of passengers both on the platform and in the train.
For a full list of safety guidelines and proper MRT etiquette, check out SMRT’s tips on when taking the MRT.