Green, leafy vegetables are nutrient-rich, and they help with numerous housekeeping tasks in the body. Greens seem to have superfood abilities, from detoxing, improved digestion, they even enhance your athleticism. Let’s look at some delicious, readily available greens that add depth to your diet.
Health Benefits Of Greens
Leafy greens are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals, and sometimes, protein. The vitamins in greens help with cell repair and the creation of proteins that keep the body running. A good example is vitamin B9, which most of us know as folate. The body uses vitamin B9 to create neurotransmitters, proteins that transmit electrical signals between nerve endings.
Other nutrients that are common to greens have the following benefits:
- Potassium is a mineral that is essential for a healthy heart and nervous system
- Vitamins A and E help to maintain eye function and skin health
- A steady supply of calcium maintains bone mass and bone density
- Vitamin K is essential in the formation of blood clots and bone tissue
- Multiple vitamins help to boost the immunity, especially vitamins C and D
- Manganese is essential for the formation of all kinds of tissue in the body
Most leafy greens regulate your blood glucose, thanks to an abundance of vitamin C. Greens like broccoli and cabbage also create a healthy balance in your gut biome. This goes a long way to ensure functional, problem-free digestion. Just as important is the detox capability of chlorophyll, a substance that puts the green color in greens.
Here is a breakdown of what different greens can do for your body: