Peanut allergies were brought into the spotlight recently, when a toddler had an allergic reaction to peanuts eaten by other passengers on board a Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight. The three-year-old boy, Marcus, was with his parents Chris and Hong Daley on SQ217 from Singapore to Melbourne last Wednesday (July 12) when the incident occurred. SIA is now reviewing the serving of nuts on board.
The Daleys, who are from Australia, have reportedly lodged a formal complaint with the airline. They told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) on Monday that Marcus was served a nut-free meal but had an allergic reaction after other passengers opened their packets of peanuts, which were served as a snack.
“He started vomiting, his eyes were starting to swell and he couldn’t speak properly,” claimed Mr Daley. Fortunately, the situation was quickly brought under control with the Daleys’ anti-allergy medication that they had brought with them. They said Marcus suffers from anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction that can typically be caused by certain food, medication, or insect bites and stings.
Doctors say peanut allergies are generally less common in Singapore, and there are no guidelines in the country similar to those just introduced in the United States. Here’s what they say parents need to know about allergies.
Text: The Straits Times, Photos: Pexels