Chinese yam is neutral in its properties and is suitable for most people, even pregnant women. It can relieve symptoms related to weak knees, sore lower back, frequent night urination, premature ejaculation and excessive vaginal discharge. While it can boost and improve digestive functions, those suffering serious constipation should avoid taking it.
Goji berry is suitable for most people and is safe for long-term consumption in moderation. It can help to improve blood circulation to ease anaemic conditions, and ease symptoms of premature ageing such as deteriorating eyesight, dizziness or giddiness, backache and weak knees.
Take Goji berry as a snack or add it to soup, porridge, fruit bar, cereal, salad, pastry, cupcake, steamed cake, muffin and scone recipes.
Hawthorn berry can enhance digestion and ease stomach discomforts due to intake of oily and rich foods. It can also relieve menstrual pain. It is not recommended for pregnant women or individuals with gastric discomfort or individuals with heave menstrual flow.
Hawthorn berry goes well with most pork or greasy food recipes. It can be taken in tea, soup or other dishes, and even infused in wine.
Black sesame can ease premature ageing symptoms, such as blurred vision and greying hair. It is also beneficial for postnatal and lactating mothers, and individuals with dry skin, constipation issues or concerns over bone health.
Black sesame can be toasted, taken as-is or in powder form and is commonly used in drinks, soups and desserts.
Chinese angelica is a common ingredient for treating conditions like dizziness, palpitations, traumatic injuries, constipation, carbuncles and sores. While it can also treat many gynaecological problems including irregular menstruation or menstrual pain, it can be used by men too.
Use it in soups, porridge, or dessert. Angelica’s layered flavour profile – sweet, bitter, pungent – will elevate your dishes and give it a herbal twist.
Chinese dates nourish the blood, improves body circulation and helps promote quality sleep. It is suitable for people with a weak spleen and stomach, Qi and also blood deficiencies.
Red dates can be added to steamed cakes, bread and muffin recipes. Try making a jam out of it by mixing with a little sugar and water, then stewing till thick.
Ready to learn how to incorporate these Chinese herbs into modern cooking techniques? Eu Yan Sang has developed the following exclusive recipes for your dining pleasure:
Herbal Chicken Cacciatoré With Chinese Angelia, Chinese Yam & Red Dates
• Chicken Thigh, 4 pcs
• Olive Oil. 60 ml
• Black Olives, 2 Tbsp
• Anchovies, 1 Tbsp
• Capers, 1 Tbsp
• Garlic, 4 cloves
• Peeled Tomatoes, 240 g
• White Wine. 50 ml
• Thyme, 4 sprigs
• Rosemary, 4 sprigs
• Cherry Tomatoes, 150 g
• Sea Salt, to taste
• Black Pepper. to taste
• Plain Flour
• Chinese Angelica. 37.5g
• Red Dates, 37.5g
• Fresh Chinese Yam
1. Rinse Chinese angelica. Marinate chicken thighs with Chinese angelica. sea salt and white wine. Set aside overnight.
2. Pre-soak red dates in water for half an hour until it is soft,
3. Halve tomatoes, crush garlic and cut Chinese yam into bits.
4. Lightly coat the marinated chicken thighs with flour.
5. In a pan on high heat, lightly sear the chicken thigh, skin-side down. Once it turns golden brown, remove it and set aside.
6. In the same pan. add anchovies and capers. Sear for 30 seconds. Add white wine (optional) and reduce.
7. Add halved tomatoes, crushed garlic. Chinese yam, rosemary, thyme, red dates and peeled tomatoes and stir well to mix
8. Add chicken thighs back into the pan, skin-side up. Reduce to medium heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Do not remove the lid.
9. After 45 minutes, spoon stew over chicken, then add olives,
Vegetarian Aglio Olio with Handmade Black Sesame Pasta
For the Dough:
• Eggs, 3 pcs
• Plain Flour. 150g
• Semolina Flour, 150g
• Black Sesame (toasted and blended into paste), 37.5g
For the Dish:
• Garlic (chopped). 25g
• Chilli Padi (chopped), 8g
• Capsicums (sliced), 350g
• Shiitake Mushrooms (sliced), 1509
For the Garnish:
• Goji Berry
For the Seasoning (to taste):
• Black Pepper
• Olive Oil
1. Mix the plain flour and semolina flour, then place them onto a clean table top.
2. Create a well with the flours. crack eggs into it then mix in black sesame paste.
3. Using a fork, whisk the eggs and black sesame paste and slowly combine the flours into the eggs. 4. Once the mixture is less sticky, start kneading until it is finned up and smooth.
4. Divide dough and thin it into a pasta sheet through a roller.
5. Cut the sheet with pasta cutter and dust the finished pasta with flour evenly, then set aside.
6. Heat up a pan on medium heat. add olive oil and sauté capsicums and shiitake mushrooms until they are soft.
7. Add in garlic and sauté until fragrant.
8. Bring a pot of water to boil and add salt.
9. Blanch pasta in the salted water for 2 min or to your desired doneness.
10. Add cooked pasta into the pan and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes.
11. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
12. Add goji berry on the pasta and serve hot!
Hawthorn Berry Chocolate Caprese Cake With American Ginseng & Goji Berry Ice Cream
For the cake:
• Dark Chocolate, 200g
• Skinned Almonds, 300g
• Egg Yolk, 5pcs
• White Sugar, 200g
• Unsalted Butter, 175g
• Egg White. 5pcs
• Hawthorn Berry, 37.5g
For the Goji Berry-American Ginseng gelato:
• Eggs, 10 pcs
• White Sugar. 300g
• Whipping Cream, 1L
• Goji Berry, 75g
• American Ginseng, 37.5g
1. Pre-soak hawthorn berry and bring to simmer, reduce to desired taste.
2. Chop skinned almonds.
3. Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler.
4. Use a stand mixer to mix egg yolks, sugar and butter until fluffy.
5. Add melted chocolate into egg yolk mixture and mix well.
6. Add almonds, reduced hawthorn berry and extract into chocolate mixture and mix well
7. Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
8. Fold egg whites into chocolate almond batter.
9. Line bottom of the 10 inch springform cake pan with parchment paper then pour batter over.
10. Bake at 170°C for 40 minutes.
1. Wash half of the amount of goji berry and American ginseng. Put them into a separate small pot. Add 100 ml of water, simmer for 30-60 minutes to reduce to extract of desired thickness. Keep in refrigerator.
2. In a large bowl, whip whipping cream until thickened.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds until fluffy.
4. Mix In whipped cream into egg mixture.
5. Wash the remaining goji berry and pound American ginseng into powder form.
6. Add washed goji berry and extract, as well as American ginseng powder and extract into the mixture.