Golden brown tofu (beancurd) and tender wombok (Chinese cabbage) braised in coconut milk, dark soy sauce and fish sauce. Great for family meals.
- 1 cup peanut oil, for shallow frying
- 400 g tofu cubed (see tip)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ head wombok (Chinese cabbage), sliced with Ω cup tender green leaves reserved
- 2 x 270 ml can coconut milk
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 12 snake beans, trimmed (or 36 green beans) cut into 4-cm pieces
In a wok or large frying pan, heat oil on high. Fry tofu 1-2 mins, turning, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Keep warm.
Pour oil out of wok, leaving 1 tbsp. Stir-fry onion and wombok 4-5 mins, until just tender.
Stir in coconut milk, soy and fish sauce. Bring to boil. Turn heat down. Simmer 5-6 mins until thickened slightly.
In a saucepan of boiling water, cook beans 1-2 mins until just tender. Drain and add to wombok.
Serve vegetables and sauce topped with fried tofu and reserved tender wombok leaves.
Photo: Rob Shaw/Bauer