A great yet simple appetiser for your next family gathering can come in the form of these familiar but well-loved chicken satay skewers, slightly charred, rather tender and incredibly juicy. Hand-in-hand with it is a vibrant salad bathed in chilli lime dressing, a refresher from the enticing flavours of smoke and addictive satay sauce we can’t seem to get enough of.
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets, chopped coarsely
- 100 g white cabbage, shredded finely
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (100 g), sliced thinly
- 100 g daikon, cut into thick matchsticks
- 180 g baby salad mix
- 1 cup (80 g) bean sprouts
- ¼ cup (35 g) roasted peanuts, chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- Lime cheeks, to serve
- ½ cup (75 g) roasted peanuts, chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
CHILLI LIME DRESSING
- 1 fresh small red thai chilli, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
Make satay sauce. Stir ingredients in a medium bowl until combined.
Thread chicken onto eight long skewers, coat with half the satay sauce.
Make chilli lime dressing. Place ingredients in a screw-top jar; shake well.
Place cabbage, onion, celery, daikon, salad mix, sprouts, peanuts and coriander in a large bowl; toss gently to combine.
Serve skewers with salad, dressing and lime.
TIP If using bamboo skewers, wrap the ends in foil to prevent them from burning.