Chinese lettuce wraps, also known as san choy bow, are enticing parcels of minced meat served in fresh leafy greens. In this recipe, we use minced chicken with crunchy chestnuts, bean sprouts and more, paired with tantalising oyster sauce.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 cm piece fresh ginger (50 g), grated finely
- 4 fresh long red chillies, chopped finely
- 1 kg minced chicken
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) oyster sauce
- 230 g canned sliced water chestnuts, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups (160 g) bean sprouts
- 4 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 12 iceberg lettuce leaves
- ⅓ cup (50 g) roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 fresh long red chilli, extra, sliced thinly on the diagonal (optional)
Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan; stir-fry garlic, ginger and chilli over high heat for 1 min or until fragrant.
Add chicken to wok; stir-fry until browned all over. Add sauce, chestnuts, sprouts and green onion; stir-fry mixture until heated through.
Spoon chicken mixture into lettuce leaves; sprinkle with cashews and extra chilli.
TIP You will need about 2 iceberg lettuces for this recipe. To easily separate the lettuce leaves without tearing, use a sharp knife to remove the core at the base of the lettuce. Hold the lettuce, cut-side up, under cold running water. Gently separate leaves one at a time, using the weight of the running water between the leaves to assist you.