On busy weeknights when you have no time to cook a full spread, you can’t go wrong with a speedy fried rice dish like this one – it takes only 10 mins to prepare the ingredients and another 10 mins to cook.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 150 g diced bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 450 g packet microwave long-grain white rice, heated
- 2 tbsps teriyaki sauce
- ½ cup chopped coriander
Place eggs in a small saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to boil, stirring. Gently boil for 5 mins. Drain; refresh under cold water. Peel eggs and cut into quarters.
Meanwhile, heat a wok or large frying pan over moderate heat. Add oil; swirl to coat base and sides of pan. Add onion and bacon; stir-fry for 3 mins or until soft. Add garlic; stir-fry for 30 secs or until fragrant.
Add carrot, zucchini and peas to wok; stir-fry for 3 mins or until tender. Add rice and sauce; stir-fry for 2 mins or until heated and combined. Remove from heat. Stir in half the coriander. Serve topped with egg and remaining coriander.
Photo: Rodney Macuja/BauerSyndication.com.au