Enjoy this comforting and fragrant local noodle soup dish at home! Healthier than the hawker versions and still economical, this is a meal that the whole family can enjoy.
Watch the video guide below:
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 5 cardamon pods
- 3 lemongrass, bruised
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 litres water
- 2 chicken breasts
- Egg noodles or vermicelli noodles , blanched in hot water, drained & set aside
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bean sprouts, trimmed & washed
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- Fried shallots , for garnishing
- Green chilli, blended
- Begedil (optional)
- 40 g coriander seeds , pan toasted
- 10 g white peppercorns , pan toasted
- 5 garlic cloves
- 6 candlenuts
- 30 g galangal, peeled and chopped
- 40 g ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsps water
In a food processor, blend PASTE ingredients to a fine paste.
In a large stockpot, heat up the oil over medium heat and fry cloves, cinnamon, star anise, cardamon pods till fragrant for about 1-2 mins.
Add in the paste and fry till the paste turns colour and mixture is a little dry. Stir often to make sure paste does not burn.
Add in water, chicken and lemongrass. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let it boil then lower the heat and simmer for 45 mins.
Remove the chicken and once they are cool, shred and set aside. Season the soup with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
To serve, place some noodles in a bowl, topped with shredded chicken, begedil (potato cake), beansprouts, egg and pour hot soup over. Garnish with coriander and fried shallots. Add green chilli on the side for some spice.