This delicious Nonya dish, also known as sambal terong, will be an instant hit with guests!
- 2 medium-sized brinjals, slit into half, lengthwise
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 tbsps bottled chilli paste or to taste
- Roasted shrimp fry
- Fried shallots, available in bottles
- Roasted nuts such as pistachios or peanuts
- Fresh coriander and 1 stalk spring onion
Heat oven to 180 C. Spray oil on brinjals and put them on a tray. When oven is hot, place brinjals inside.
Roast brinjals for 20 to 25 mins till they are tender.
Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and soften the chopped onions. Add the chilli paste and stir well.
Remove brinjals from oven. Spread chilli paste and scatter nuts, shallots and shrimp fry over brinjals.
Garnish with chopped spring onion and coriander.
Recipe: Sylvia Tan / Photo: Feline Lim / The Straits Times