You don’t need much time to make these delicious roasted sticky tofu buns. Easily the perfect lunch to prepare and pack from home, or a simple but flavourful breakfast, these little sandwiches take less than an hour but are enough for the whole family.
- 300 g firm tofu
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1½ tbsps tomato sauce
- 1½ tbsps smokey barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 1 Lebanese cucumber (130 g), sliced thinly lengthways
- 1 large carrot (180 g), sliced thinly lengthways
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tbsps rice wine vinegar, extra
- 4 fresh coriander sprigs
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts
- 4 small soft white bread rolls (520 g), split
Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease and line an oven tray with baking paper.
Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towel. Top with another plate; stand for 10 mins. Cut tofu crossways into eight slices, rub with paprika; season.
Bring sauces, vinegar and sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 3 mins or until thickened slightly. Pour sauce mixture over tofu; turn to coat. Transfer tofu to tray; bake for 20 mins, basting occasionally with sauce mixture or until tofu is golden.
Combine cucumber, carrot, chilli, sugar and extra vinegar in a medium bowl; stand for 10 mins or until vegetables soften. Drain.
Place tofu, pickled vegetables, coriander and nuts between rolls.
TIP This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed more people.