This gorgeous seafood laksa is a treasure trove of luxurious ingredients ranging from king prawns, scallops, tofu, to macadamias and more. Retaining the classic laksa flavours, don’t forget to include bean sprouts, lemongrass, and our very own list of herbs and spices for the identifiable freshness and aroma of this iconic Asian noodle dish.
- 12 uncooked medium king prawns (shrimp) (540g)
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 3¼ cups (810 ml) coconut milk
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded finely
- 155 g rice stick noodles
- 280 g scallops, roe removed
- 155 g marinated tofu, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 2 cups (160 g) bean sprouts
- 4 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 3 dried medium chillies
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) boiling water
- 2 tsps peanut oil
- 1 small brown onion (80 g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger (10 g), grated
- 10 cm stick fresh lemongrass (20 g), chopped finely
- 1 tbsp halved, unroasted, unsalted macadamias
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh coriander root and stem mixture
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
Cook paste in large saucepan, stirring, about 5 mins or until fragrant. Stir in stock, coconut milk and lime leaves; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 mins.
Meanwhile, place noodles in large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; stand until tender, drain.
Add prawns to laksa mixture; simmer, uncovered, about 5 mins or until prawns change colour. Add scallops and tofu; simmer, uncovered, about 3 mins or until scallops change colour. Remove from heat; stir in juice.
Divide noodles among serving bowls; ladle laksa into bowls, top with sprouts, onion, chilli and coriander leaves.
TIP The laksa paste can be made several days ahead; keep refrigerated. Not suitable to freeze. Suitable to microwave.