Your cravings for Thai food could be conveniently satisfied with our slow-cooked recipe for Thai basil chicken, albeit with a little wait. Needing no more effort than tossing quality ingredients into the slow-cooker, all you have to do is let everything simmer before assembling them tastefully in time for dinner.
- 1.8 kg whole chicken
- 1 medium red onion (170 g), sliced thickly
- 1 medium red capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), sliced thickly
- 1 medium yellow capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), sliced thickly
- 2 medium carrots (240 g), halved, sliced thickly diagonally
- 4 clove garlic, quartered
- 10 cm stick fresh lemongrass (20 g), sliced thinly
- 4 cm piece fresh galangal, sliced thinly
- 3 fresh small red thai chillies, chopped coarsely
- 2 tbsps fish sauce
- 2 tbsps grated palm sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- ¾ cup (180 ml) chicken stock
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tbsps cornflour (cornstarch)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 115 g baby corn, halved
- 400 g gai lan, trimmed, cut into 5cm (2-inch) lengths
- ½ cup (75 g) roasted salted cashews
- ½ cup loosely-packed thai basil leaves
Remove as much skin as possible from chicken; refrigerate skin until required. Place chicken in a 4.5-litre (18 cups) slow cooker. Top with onion, capsicums and carrot.
Process garlic, lemon grass, galangal, chilli, sauce, sugar and oil until smooth. Stir in stock, then pour mixture over chicken in cooker. Add lime leaves to cooker; cook, covered, on low, for 8 hrs. Skim excess oil away from surface.
Carefully remove chicken from cooker; break chicken into large chunks. Discard bones. Discard lime leaves.
Stir cornflour and the water in a small bowl until combined; add cornflour mixture to cooker with corn and gai lan. Increase heat to reduce setting on low; simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, or until sauce thickens. Return chicken to cooker; simmer until heated through. Season to taste.
Place reserved chicken skin on an oven tray; season. Grill about 15 mins or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel; break crispy skin into pieces.
Serve chicken mixture topped with crispy chicken skin, cashews and Thai basil.
TIP Accompany with steamed jasmine rice or roti bread. Not suitable to freeze.