What’s a good Thai beef salad without an appetising sweet, sour and spicy dressing? This deceptively easy recipe calls for all the authentic flavours of Thailand, featuring inclusions of fish sauce, lime juice, red chillies, basil and more.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fish sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice
- 500 g beef rump steak
- 3 (390 g) Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthways
- 4 fresh small red Thai chillies, sliced thinly
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup firmly packed fresh Vietnamese mint leaves
- ½ cup firmly packed fresh coriander leaves
- ½ cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1 tbsp grated palm sugar
- 2 tsps soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Combine 2 tbsps of the fish sauce and 1 tbsp of the juice in medium bowl with beef. Toss beef to coat in marinade. Cover and refrigerate 3 hrs or overnight.
Drain beef and discard marinade. Cook beef on heated oiled grill plate (or grill or grill pan) until cooked as desired. Cover and stand 5 mins. Slice beef thinly.
Meanwhile, combine cucumber, chilli, onion, tomato and herbs in large bowl.
Place sugar, soy sauce, garlic, remaining fish sauce and remaining juice in a bowl and mix to combine.
Add sliced beef to salad with dressing, toss gently to combine.
TIP Thai basil is available from most supermarkets. Use traditional basil instead if you cannot find any. We used a vegetable peeler to slice the cucumbers thinly into ribbons.