Want to serve up the fleshy, juicy pomelo as part of your CNY feast? Incorporate the lucky fruit with this Thai-style pomelo salad, which packs spicy, sweet and savoury flavours in a single dish. It will make a brilliant appetiser to the meats coming your way!
- 2 tbsps palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 tbsps fish sauce
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup peanuts, skin on
- Dried sole fish, finely chopped or powdered
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Pomelo, divided into bite-sized chunks
- Coriander leaves
In a bowl, combine palm sugar with water, red chilli, garlic, lime juice and fish sauce. Mix well.
Heat up a pan to toast shredded coconut. Meanwhile, fry peanuts with skin on.
Cut up dried sole fish and powderise with a blender.
Cool shallots in iced water. Once done, combine with pomelo and coriander leaves.
Pour half of dressing over pomelo mixture. Add fried peanuts, toasted coconut, dried sole fish powder before pouring remaining dressing.
Toss to mix well. Serve.