Wholesome and hearty, this mushroom brew is perfect as a starter to any meal. As it is filling enough, it can even replace a meal on some days.
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 cup walnuts
- 5 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ tsps salt
- Black pepper to taste
- A handful of greens (baby spinach, kale leaves or watercress) to garnish
- Truffle-flavoured oil or quality olive oil to drizzle over (optional)
Heat olive oil (or butter) in a pot
Saute the chopped garlic till soft but not browned. Add the walnuts, with skin intact, as that holds much of its goodness.
Add the sliced mushrooms and fry till they are softened and the juices are released. Add a splash of white wine, if desired.
Add the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer on low heat for 15 mins. Add salt and pepper.
Using a stab blender, blend the soup till creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Garnish with fresh baby greens and a drizzle of oil, either a truffle-flavoured one or an extra-virgin olive oil, and serve with crusty bread on the side.
Chef’s Tip:. If you like a spot of green to liven up the looks, just throw in whatever baby greens you have – kale, water cress or spinach.
Recipe: Sylvia Tan / Photo: Kua Chee Siong / The Straits Times