Tired of your usual repertoire of chocolate and vanilla? It might be time to start expanding your dessert selection with some zesty flavours. Try this blueberry macaroon slice at once refreshing and indulgent, you wouldn’t believe it only takes four steps.
- 90 g (3 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup (100 g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ cup (35 g) self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp custard powder
- ½ cup (160 g) blueberry jam
- 2 egg whites, beaten lightly
- 2½ cup (190 g) shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (55 g) caster (superfine) sugar
Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 20 cm x 30 cm (8 inch x 12 inch) rectangular pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5 cm (2 inches) over sides.
Beat butter, sugar and egg in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined; stir in sifted flours and custard powder. Spread dough into pan; spread with jam.
To make coconut topping, combine egg whites, coconut and sugar in a medium bowl; sprinkle over jam.
Bake slice about 40 mins; cool in pan. Cut into rectangles.
TIP Slice can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. For a different flavoured slice, use cherry, raspberry or strawberry jam.