Loved the potato au gratin? This cauliflower and broccoli version will, too, sweep you off your feet with its ultra gooey and cheesy goodness. Definitely makes the otherwise boring vegetables attractive for kids!
- ½ cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- 80 g butter
- ⅓ cup (50 g) plain flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk, warmed
- 1 cup (120 g) grated tasty cheese
- ½ cup (40 g) grated parmesan
- ½ cup (35 g) fresh breadcrumbs
- Salad, to serve (optional)
Preheat oven to 180 C. Lightly grease a 20 cm x 30 cm casserole dish.
Place cauliflower and broccoli in a large saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 6-8 mins, or until tender. Drain well. Arrange in prepared dish.
Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 min. Remove from heat and gradually mix in warmed milk, until smooth. Return to medium heat. Stir until sauce boils and thickens. Simmer for 3 mins.
Pour sauce over vegetables. Sprinkle with combined cheeses and breadcrumbs.
Bake for 20-30 mins, or until gratin is bubbling and golden. Serve with salad.
TIP If desired, add a washed and trimmed leek to this mixture.