- 1 cup (200 g) dried haricot beans
- 500 g spicy Italian sausages
- 250 g pork sausages
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken breasts on the bone
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 rindless bacon slices, thinly sliced
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cloves
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 baby onions, halved
- 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
In a large bowl, cover beans with water. Stand overnight; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain.
In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook sausages, uncovered, 2 mins; drain.
Heat oil in 5 litre (20 cups) flameproof casserole dish; cook chicken and sausages, in batches, until browned. Drain on absorbent paper; slice sausages thickly.
Add bacon to dish; cook, stirring, until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
Return chicken to dish with beans, garlic, spices, vegetables, wine, the water and tomato paste. Cook, covered, in oven 1½ hrs.
Add sausages; cover. Cook about 30 mins or until sausages are cooked. Season to taste. Serve sprinkled with bacon and parsley.