This chicken, chorizo (pork sausage) and black bean soup is surely a hearty and comforting food to come home to after a long day at work.
- 3 corn cobs, husks, silks removed
- 2 chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves, stems separated, chopped
- 2 small red chillies, chopped (see tip)
- 4 sprigs oregano leaves picked
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 10 cups (2.5 litres) chicken stock
- 400 g punnet heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400 g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- Char grilled tortilla wedges, lime wedges, to serve
Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on high.
Spray corn cobs with oil. Chargrill 10-12 mins, turning, until tender. Cut kernels from cobs, reserve and set aside. Spray chicken with oil and chargrill 3 to 4 mins each side, until grill marks appear. Repeat with chorizo slices, for 1-2 mins each side.
In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Saute onion, celery and garlic 2-3 mins until tender. Add coriander stems, chillies, oregano, paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, 1-2 mins until fragrant.
Stir in stock, corn cobs and kernels, chicken, chorizo and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 35-40 mins until chicken is very tender.
Remove and discard corn cobs. Remove chicken, shred and return to pan with black beans. Simmer 10 mins to warm through.
Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves. Accompany with tortilla and lime wedges.
Top Tip: For a more authentic flavour, look for chillies in adobo sauce in speciality stores. Use about Ω cup.
Photo: John Paul Urizar/bauersyndication.com.au