The chilli con carne, which means chilli with meat, is a tasty Mexican stew that contains chilli, meat, and tomatoes. The dish is an excellent way to spice up your family meal, be it with rice, corn chips or on top of your perfectly baked potatoes.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 2 medium (300 g) onions, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 long green chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp (rounded) ground cumin
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 2 410 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup (250 ml) beef stock
- ¼ cup loosely packed coriander leaves
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 180 C (160 C fan-forced). Heat half the oil in a medium flameproof heavy-based pan over high heat. Cook mince, stirring, to break up lumps, until browned. Remove mince from pan.
Lower the heat to medium; add remaining oil and cook onion, garlic, chillies and spices until the onion is soft.
Return mince to pan; stir in tomato paste, tomatoes and kidney beans. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in stock then bake, covered, for 45 mins. Top with coriander and serve with rice and sour cream.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.