Wow the crowd with these luxurious Chinese spiced lamb shanks, cooked to perfection with chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, oyster sauce, and more. You’ll have a flavourful setup once they’re plated with choy sum and gai lan, and drizzled with homemade sauce.
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- 2 star anise
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsps oyster sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) orange juice
- 2 tbsps honey
- 2 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
- 8 (2 kg) French-trimmed lamb shanks
- 500 g choy sum, chopped into 10 cm lengths
- 350 gram gai lan, trimmed
Preheat oven to 180 C.
Combine chilli, spices, sauces, juice, honey, garlic and the water in medium jug.
Place lamb, in single layer, in large shallow baking dish, drizzle with sauce. Cook, covered, in oven, turning lamb occasionally, about 2 hrs or until meat is almost falling off the bone.
Remove lamb from dish, cover to keep warm. Skim away excess fat, strain sauce into small saucepan. Bring sauce to the boil, boil, uncovered, 2 mins.
Boil, steam or microwave choy sum and gai lan, separately, until tender, drain. Divide vegetables among serving plates, serve with lamb, drizzle with sauce.