A flourless recipe such as this gorgeous fruit loaf is the secret to achieving a lighter, gluten-free bake best served with a pot of freshly brewed tea. We picked almond, plum and orange to be our ingredients of choice – creating a flavourful and aromatic blend of floral and fruity notes that seemingly burst with every bite.
- 2 medium green apples (300 g), grated coarsely
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten lightly
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsps honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 2 cup (240 g) ground almonds
- 2 tsps gluten-free baking powder
- 5 small plums (375 g), halved
- 2 tsps honey or pure maple syrup, extra
- 2 tbsps flaked coconut, toasted
Preheat oven to 160 C. Lightly grease a 10.5 cm x 21 cm x 6 cm (base measurement) loaf pan; line base and long sides with baking paper.
Combine apple, egg, milk, honey, extract and orange blossom water in a large bowl. Add ground almonds and baking powder; stir until just combined.
Spread mixture into pan, level top; top with plums, cut-side up, pressing them slightly into the batter. Drizzle with extra honey.
Bake for 1¾ hrs or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Sprinkle with coconut and serve warm.
TIP You can also make this loaf with other stone fruit such as small peaches or apricots. You may need to cover the loaf loosely with baking paper during the last 10 mins of baking to prevent over-browning. For paleo and dairy-free diets, serve with coconut yoghurt.