A hearty tomato and beef stock based stew with tender beef cubes and button mushrooms served with the accompaniment of sour cream and toasted bread.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 kg chuck steak or gravy beef, trimmed, cubed
- ¼ cup seasoned plain flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 small kumara, peeled, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, sliced (fronds reserved)
- 1 green capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 125 g button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 can (420 g) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (400 g) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup red wine
- ⅓ cup pitted black olives
- Sour cream, crusty bread, to serve
Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C.
In a large, flameproof casserole dish, heat oil on high. Dust beef in combined flour and paprika. Brown in 2 batches, 4-5 mins each.
In the same dish, sautè kumara, fennel, capsicum, mushrooms and garlic 3-4 mins until beginning to colour.
Stir in stock, soup, tomatoes and wine. Season to taste.
Bake, covered, 1 hour 15 mins, until meat is tender. Stir in olives. Garnish with fennel fronds. Serve with sour cream and bread.
These cuts of meat are perfect for casseroles:
BEEF Blade, brisket, chuck, gravy, topside, silverside.
VEAL Knuckle (osso bucco), leg, shoulder
LAMB Neck, forequarter, shank, shoulder, leg
PORK Shoulder, hock, forequarter, leg
CHICKEN Drumsticks, thigh fillets or cutlets, chicken pieces
Photo: Bauersyndication.com.au/Brett Stevens