A delicious savoury stew, this chicken tagine with perfect is perfect to serve family style!
- 1.2 kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 5 heaped tbsps plain flour
- 2 tsps salt
- 2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml water
- 8 pieces dried apricot, cut into halves
- 2 tbsps chicken seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 stalks coriander, chopped
- 250 g instant couscous (cook as per instructions on the packaging)
Shake chicken, flour and salt in a ziplock plastic bag until well-coated. Remove chicken, discard flour mixture.
Heat 2 tbsps oil in a pan. When hot, lightly brown chicken pieces on both sides. Set aside.
In a deep saucepan, heat 3 tbsps oil till hot, sauté onions and garlic till fragrant, put in ground spices and cook for 30 secs, stirring. Then add in chicken pieces, chopped tomatoes, water, dried apricots, and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 40 mins or until chicken is tender.
Season with chicken seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped parsley and coriander. Serve with couscous.
Photo: Bauer/Brett Stevens