Prep: 20 mins Cook: 25 mins Makes: 24 pancakes
- 700 g can whole plums in natural juice
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsps soy suace
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 500 g Chinese barbecued duck, meat removed, shredded
- 24 popiah skins (try Joo Chiat Popiah or Mr Popiah)
- 2 Japanese cucumbers, seeded, matchsticks
- 6 green onions, matchsticks
Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C.
Drain plums, reserving 1 tbsp juice. In a medium saucepan, bring combined plums, reserved juice, sugar, soy, five-spice and chilli to boil on medium. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 12 to 15 mins until reduced to 1½ cups. Stir in zest. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
Place duck meat on an oven tray, cover with foil. Bake 15 mins until warmed through.
Spread each popiah skin with 1 tbsp plum sauce (see Chef’s Tip below). Top with duck, cucumber and onions. Roll up to enclose. Secure with skewers to serve.
*Save time! Replace plum sauce with ready-made hoisin sauce.