Christmas leftovers can be a handful to deal with. Make use of that remaining turkey (and other simple ingredients) by pairing them up with buttery pastry for a minimal effort post-Christmas treat!
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsps white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsps butter
- 2 cups turkey meat, diced
- A few handfuls fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup bacon, roughly diced
- 6 vol-au-vent shells
- 110 g mushrooms, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed and boiled
- 1 onion or large shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) creme fraiche
- 1 handful spring onions, chopped
Put the stock and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and turn off the heat.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and fry the onions for just 2 mins. Add the bacon and saute lightly until just turning brown. Add the mushrooms and cook until shrunken, dark and golden.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Sprinkle over the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
Add the wine and cook until it disappears. Pour in the stock, add the turkey and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 3 mins.
Stir in the creme fraiche and mustard. Add the green peas. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and spring onions.
Spoon the turkey mixture into the vol-au-vent shells and serve hot. You can also serve with steamed rice.