Amp up your rice bowl game and make yourself a Mexican-styled one for an appetising change. Kept in the oven for a 20-minute bake, this dish will soothe and satiate the stomach with the flavours of taco seasoning, chicken stock and even lime.
- 500 g turkey breasts, 1.5 cm-thick steaks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch coriander, stalks chopped, leaves reserved
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 400 g red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 35 g sachet taco seasoning
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 50g corn chips (tortilla strips)
- 1 avocado, flesh roughly sliced
- 1 lime, wedges
Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C.
In a medium bowl, combine turkey steaks, oil, onion, coriander stalks and chilli. Cover and chill until required.
In a large ovenproof frying pan, combine rice, beans, taco seasoning. Pour in stock and bring to boil on medium. Cover tightly with lid or foil and bake 20 mins.
Season turkey and arrange on top of rice mixture in pan. Cover again and bake a further 10 to 15 mins, until rice is tender and turkey is completely cooked through.
Top with tortilla strips, avocado and coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Top Tip: Accompany with salsa, sour cream and salad.
Photo: Rob Shaw/Bauersyndication.com.au