This super simple tomato kasundi is the perfect homemade gift for friends and family this Christmas! Serve alongside crispy veggie fritters or heap onto a deluxe sandwich for even more flavour.
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsps ground cumin
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 long green chilis, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsps grated fresh ginger
- 800 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 green apple, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium. Add seeds, turmeric and cumin. Cook for 2 mins until fragrant. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook for 2 mins until onion begins to soften.
Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, apple and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour until the liquid has evaporated and the oil comes to the top.
Store in the fridge, in sterilised jars for up to one month.
Tips: Sterilise jars by rinsing in water, arranging on oven trays and baking in a moderately slow oven for 10 mins. Cool, covered with a clean teatowel.