A version of overnight oats with health-boosting ingredients such as apples, oats, raisins and nuts, bircher muesli is a great make-ahead breakfast option that doesn’t take much time even on the day of making.
- 2 cup (180 g) rolled oats
- 1¼ cup (310 ml) apple juice
- 1 cup (280 g) plain yoghurt
- 2 medium piece green-skinned apples (300g)
- ¼ cup (35 g) roasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup (40 g) currants
- ¼ cup (20 g) toasted shredded coconut
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (140 g) plain yoghurt, extra
- 2 tbsps honey
Combine oats, juice and yoghurt in a medium bowl. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
Peel, core and coarsely grate 1 apple; stir into the oat mixture with nuts, currants, coconut and cinnamon.
Core and thinly slice remaining apple. Serve the muesli topped with extra yoghurt and apple slices; drizzle with honey.
TIP Bircher muesli can be made and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The mixture will become thicker; you can add a little extra apple juice to serve.