Start the week with this super healthy bowl – it’s packed with brown and wild rice to fill you up plus greens and grains to give you a nutrient boost.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups grated butternut pumpkin (250 g)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsps grated ginger
- 3 tsps garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 400 g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup water
- 250 g packet microwave brown and wild rice, cooked
- 125 g haloumi, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- Toasted sunflower seeds, lemon wedges, to serve
- 100 g packet baby spinach
- 1 avocado, seeded, quartered
- 1 mango, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
In a saucepan, heat half oil on high. Saute pumpkin, onion and ginger 4 to 5 mins until softened. Stir in spices and cook 1 min.
Add tomato, chickpeas and water and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook 8 to 10 mins until thickened. Season to taste.
In a medium frying pan, heat remaining oil on high. Cook haloumi slices, 1 min each side, until golden brown. Divide between four serving bowls with rice.
SALAD Arrange all salad ingredients among bowls with dhal and rice, separating into sections.
Top each bowl with haloumi. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Accompany with lemon wedges.
TIP: If cooking rice from scratch, you’ll need 1 cup brown rice when cooked.
Photo: Rob Shaw/BauerSyndication.com.au