Fresh, wholesome and fulfilling, the burrito bowl has established itself as one of the most reliable options for lunch, especially if you’d like something guilt-free and energising. Indulge in the same without the hefty costs by meal-prepping your own – adorning it with your favourite ingredients – with our versatile burrito bowl recipe, featuring white quinoa, corn cobs, and a protein of your choice. You’ll love it with our cherry-on-top, our fragrant homemade dressing combining lemon, garlic, adobo sauce and more.
- 2 chipotle chillies in adobo sauce (35 g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 1½ tbsps red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsps finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup (100 g) white quinoa
- 4 corn cobs (1 kg), husks and silks removed
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 medium avocados (500 g), halved
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
PICK-YOUR-PROTEIN (CHOOSE ONE)
- 2 chicken breast fillets (400g), halved lengthways
- 24 uncooked medium king prawns (shrimp) (1.1 kg), peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 500 g firm tofu, drained, patted dry, cut into 1 cm thick pieces
To make dressing, combine 1 tsp of the adobo sauce in a small bowl with 1 clove garlic, the lemon juice, vinegar and 2 tbsps of the oil; set aside until required.
For the marinade, combine chipotle chillies, lemon rind, honey and remaining garlic and oil in a large bowl. Add your choice of protein; turn to coat in mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Rinse quinoa in a sieve; drain. Place quinoa and 1 cup (250 ml) water in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 15 mins or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Cook corn on a heated grill plate (or barbecue), turning occasionally, over high heat for 12 mins or until blackened and tender.
Reduce heat to low; cook chosen protein for 3 mins on each side or until char marks appear and chicken or prawns are cooked through or tofu is golden.
Divide quinoa, corn, tomatoes, green onion, avocado, coriander and chosen protein among bowls; drizzle with dressing to serve.