Simple, homely and undeniably healthful, chicken and vegetable soup will always remain as the ultimate recipe brought to the present from our childhood. Now, prepare it for your children and easily fulfil their five-a-day with additions of celery, snow peas, corn, carrots, potato and more – ingredients that can be wholly determined by your and your kids’ preference.
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1.25 litre (5 cups) chicken stock
- 2 stalks celery (200g), trimmed, sliced thinly
- 2 carrots (240 g), diced into 1 cm pieces
- 1 potato (300 g), diced into 1 cm pieces
- 150 g snow peas, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 310 g can corn kernels, drained
- 3 cups (480 g) coarsely shredded cooked chicken meat
Place the water and stock in large saucepan; bring to the boil. Add celery, carrot and potato; return to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 10 mins or until vegetables are just tender.
Add snow peas, onion and corn to soup; cook, covered, 2 mins. Add chicken; stir until heated through.
TIP Egg-free noodles may also be added.