What was once a celebrity favourite is now the classic American garden salad, which displays its main ingredients in vibrant, organised rows. Loosely constructed of salad greens, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, cheese and chicken breast – which can be cooked in a variety of different ways – we recommend tying it all together with a homemade dressing, which gets even better if you shake it out or let it sit in a jar.
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2½ tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 300 g kipfler potatoes
- 2 tsps fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 cup watercress, tightly packed
- 125 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups (350 g) cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 large piece avocado, thickly sliced
- 125 g grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, halved
Whisk dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar in a small bowl, season to taste.
Quarter kipfler potatoes lengthways, boil, steam or microwave until tender. Toss warm potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the dressing and finely chopped fresh chives, season to taste.
Combine watercress with 1 tsp dressing. Arrange watercress, crumbled blue cheese, chicken, avocado, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs and potato mixture in rows on a large platter.
Drizzle with remaining dressing.