If you love this local favourite and are not so keen on the calories, make this healthy version chicken rice instead.
Ingredients to Cook Chicken
- 1.8 kg whole chicken
- 200 g young ginger, sliced (for the chicken)
- 150 g spring onion, (for the chicken)
- 150 g chicken bouillon Cube , for base seasoning of the chicken
- 45 g rock sugar, for base seasoning of the chicken
- 6 l water
Ingredients to Cook Rice
- 375 g brown rice
- 375 g jasmine rice
- 900 ml water
- 150 g pandan leaves
- 75 g shallot, finely blended
- 75 g garlic, finely blended
- 75 g young ginger, sliced
- 75 g blue ginger, finely sliced
- 30 g canola oil
- 40 g chicken bouillon cube
For the chicken: Heat up water in a deep pot until it boils. Add in all the ingredients (except the chicken) and seasoning.
Slowly submerge the whole chicken, lower the flame and poach for 45 mins.
Soak the chicken in cold water for 15 mins before cutting the chicken. Set aside.
For the rice: Heat up wok with oil, add the young ginger, blue ginger and fry until golden brown.
Add the garlic and shallot, continue frying until fragrant.
Add chicken bouillon stock (chicken bouillon cube mixed with 900 ml of water) into the pot.
When the stock boils, pour it onto rice in the rice cooker and cook it for 45 mins.
Serve hot with chicken and condiments.