Full of delicious flavours and accompanied with refreshing slaw, this one-bowl meal makes for a very satisfying weekday lunch option or a healthy dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsps mixed spice
- 400 g pork fillet
- ½ pineapple, peeled, cored, 1-cm slices
- ¼ dry ginger ale (see tip)
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 400 g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice, plus wedges, coriander leaves, to serve
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp finely-chopped pickled jalapeno, plus 2 tsps pickling liquid
- 2 tsps Dijon mustard
- 4 cups finely-shredded red cabbage
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
In a shallow dish, combine oil and spice. Add pork, turning to coat.
Heat a frying pan on medium. Cook pork 10 to 12 mins, turning, for medium, or cooked to taste. Rest, covered with foil, 5 mins.
Preheat a chargrill pan on high. Place pineapple slices in a shallow dish, pour over ginger ale and sprinkle with sugar. Grill 1 to 2 mins each side until caramelised.
In a bowl, combine beans, tomato and lime juice. Season. Set aside.
SLAW In a bowl, whisk mayonnaise, juice, jalapenos and mustard together. Season. Add cabbage and onion, mixing to coat. Toss carrot in reserved liquid and scatter over slaw.
Divide slaw and bean mix among bowls. Top with thickly-sliced pork, pineapple and coriander and accompany with lime wedges.
TIP: For a drunken pineapple, swap ginger ale for dark spiced rum!
Photo: Rob Shaw/BauerSyndication.com.au