This chickpea salad is fast and easy to throw together and suits almost any occasion. Pick the best cucumbers and cherry tomatoes of the bunch to ensure a fresh and tasty salad, perfect with a finalising zing from refreshing lemon juice.
- 1½ tbsps mixed colour quinoa
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 80 g canned chickpeas (garbanzo), rinsed, drained
- 100 g Lebanese cucumber, seeded, sliced thinly crossways
- 100 g mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered if large)
- 15 g light Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsps finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
Rinse quinoa well, drain. Place quinoa and the water in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 12 mins or until tender. Drain; rinse under cold water until cool, drain well.
Combine chickpeas, quinoa, cucumber, tomato, feta, dill, juice, rind and garlic in a medium bowl; toss gently, season to taste.
TIP You can make this salad ahead of time; keep the lemon juice separate until ready to serve. If you’re having trouble finding mixed coloured quinoa, buy white and black quinoa and mix it yourself. Remove the seeds of the cucumber with a teaspoon. You can use cherry tomatoes for this recipe if you can’t find mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes.