Meatless Mondays feel a lot less dull when you switch things up with a fiery quinoa, black bean and chipotle chilli – a Mexican-inspired dish that features capsicums, corn, and more. While mouth-watering, it’s loaded with healthful ingredients, and makes for a tasty vegetarian meal with corn chips or guacamole.
- ½ cup (100 g) tri-colour quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (150 g), chopped finely
- 1 medium red capsicum (200 g), chopped finely
- 1 medium green capsicum (200g), chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- ½ tsp Mexican chilli powder
- 375 g bottled chipotle thick and chunky salsa
- 2½ cups (625 ml) vegetable stock
- 800 canned black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 trimmed corn cobs (500 g), kernels removed
- ½ cup fresh coriander sprigs
Heat oil in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on sear (high) setting; cook onion, capsicum and garlic, stirring, for 5 mins or until vegetables soften. Add cumin, oregano and chilli; cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant.
Add quinoa, salsa, stock and beans; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low setting, for 2½ hrs.
Serve chilli topped with coriander.
TIP Serve with guacamole, corn chips, sour cream and lime cheeks